Bala Hissar is a historic fortress located in Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. First mentioned by 7th-century explorer Xuan Zang, the fort was used as a royal residence for the Durrani Empire since December 1747, when Ahmad Shah Durrani conquered Peshawar. The Maratha Empire captured it after the Battle of Peshawar in 1758. The Sikhs reconstructed the fort after capturing Peshawar in March 1823. In 1849, the British East India Company reconstructed the fort's outer walls.
The fort now serves as headquarters for Pakistan's Frontier Corps.